You are here

Post Graduate Studies

This web page was carefully laid out to answer most of the enquiries of the holders of a B.Sc. degree in Radiological Sciences who wish to go for higher studies (M.Sc., M.Phil, or Ph.D.). We hope to be able to offer adequate information as needed by these candidates and would, meanwhile, be pleased to offer advice whenever possible through arranged links with the Department staff members. This web page will be periodically analyzed and updated in view of the site visitors' questions and enquiries.
Steps needed by the student who endeavor to go for higher studies are that he must:

  • Identify the area of study he is most inclined and prefer to complete his B.Sc. studies. This makes it easier for him, at a later stage, to select the appropriate universities worldwide. Proper pre-planning and advice will be important in this respect.
  • Define the beneficiary body who is to send him for the higher course of studies, whether this is The Ministry of Education, a university (e.g., KSU), or as a private candidate. Each of these three has its own conditions regarding country of study or the area of speciality. (All the state institutions require the student to present a conditional acceptance usually offered by the many international universities, but not all.
  • Select the country of study. This is, however, governed by some factors most important of which are: Possibility of the study in that particular country, quality and standard of study, the nature of the country, its people, and the presiding living costs and how far the student can cope with. This is in addition to admission requirements and feasibility of the needed are of study (admission requirements place a hindrance, in itself, for some candidates as this is dictated by the particular university's educational polices in effect. This is prominent in countries line Canada and Australia, as examples.
  • Know the type of study, whether this is a part-time or a full-time course, a taught course, or by research.
  • Regarding the language of study (which in many instances is English), most universities require a GPA of not less than 3.5 for holders of a B.Sc. in Radiological Sciences, beside a not less than 575 out of 677 points for the TOFEL test. There exceptions, however, where some universities require 600 of 677 points. Some British and Australian universities also require alternative tests, e.g. the IELTS. Meanwhile, TOFEL tests can be done either as a written test (out of 677 points) or over the internet (out of 120 points). A computer-based TOFEL test also exists with maximum required points of …….
    The above mentioned marking model is liable for change in accordance with the educational polices of various universities. Figures shown above are but examples for many universities. Some universities will accept the student in condition that he admits one of its prescribed language courses, without the need to go through TOFEL or IELTS tests. Some American universities require the student to go through a GRE test which is a diverse type of testing in many areas of science, to be conducted in English.
    The B.Sc. degree in Radiological Sciences qualifies the student to further complete his studies in the following higher studies:
    1. Ultra Sound: Candidates requiring study in this field are generally faced with the fact that the concerned universities require the candidate to be attached to one of its teaching hospitals during the M.Sc. programme. Most of them, meanwhile, require a minimum of 2 year experience in ultrasound practice.
    2. MRI.
    3. Medical Physics.
    4. Nuclear Medicine (all branches).
    5. Imaging.

    The above fields are only examples of more diverse specialties.
    Credentials to be presented by the candidate when corresponding:

    • A Copy of a recent valid passport.
    • A copy of a certified graduation certificate (to be endorsed).
    • Two letters of recommendation from the teaching staff of the university where the B.Sc. was received. This is, preferably, in addition to two letters from the institution where the internship were done.
    • A Copy of the student's academic record in English (to be endorsed).
    • Correspondence:
      Correspondence can be accepted directly from the student or through specialized offices. The student is advised, however, to personally correspond with universities. This will gain him experience and is, undoubtedly, cost effective.

      The Department of Radiological Sciences is pleased to offer consultancy and support in the area of higher studies, including the selection of the filed of study, choice of university, correspondence, etc..