The biomedical technology department was established in 1982 in order to raise the level of applied student in both, medical and engineering fields, and developing his skills to be able to convoy the latest development in the biomedical field. Over recent years, the health care systems have witnessed an increase in the utilization of advanced equipment, both in diagnosis and therapy of diseases. Many disorders in the function of the human body can be detected by either direct or indirect test by using complicated medical equipment which requires the skills of specialists from national competencies with a high level of qualification. The department has an elite of faculty members who specialized in many different fields which will help the department to offer an up to date program with high-quality subjects. The department also has teaching and research laboratories that help both, student and the faculty, to increase the efficiency of the educational process.
The bachelor’s degree program has many topics which are related to human health with a complete focus on the engineering side, among these topics:
- Biological sciences.
- Biomedical electronics.
- Application of computer techniques in the medical fields.
- Signal processing.
The graduates of the program are qualified to work in different work environments such as hospitals, academic institutions, medical device companies, research centers, and government authorities that deal with specifications and standards of medical devices. The graduate can perform several tasks, including:
- Planning and technical analysis of medical devices.
- Observation of the safety procedure in the hospital.
- Analysis of vital data and medical images.
- Designing of the medical equipment.
- Manufacturing and developing on medical devices.
- Marketing and sales of medical equipment and devices.
- Testing and calibration of medical devices.
- Establishing standard specifications for internationally accepted medical devices and biomedical materials that determine their usability in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.